List of random things I discovered on the I Like Ike! 2015 Road Trip
- The Interstate System is a really good idea. For the most part, the highway was in good shape, billboards were at a minimum, rest stops were clean, frequent and actually offered some great tips on the surrounding area.
- La Quinta hotels has definitely become heaven for pet owners. The hotel chain is pet friendly and we found owners to be unusually eager to talk about their dogs.
- I enjoyed marking the time on the trip by seeing the “Welcome to Our State” signs at each border. Most signs incorporate some elements unique to their state.
- Gas Station Travel Centers are absolutely the best places to roam around. Tons of candy, jewelry, electronics gear and usually a fast food joint to distract you from the monotony of the drive. Overheard from Lilly leaving the Flying J: “The only thing I don’t trust inside that place is the clothing. Who’d buy clothes here?”
- I miss the AAA Trip Tix we used to order for long drives. They had interesting tips about places along the drive and the habit of flipping the pages was proof that you were making good time. The GPS is great for the basic map, but driving across country is so much more than just getting to your destination.
- I-40 travels through a lot of wide open land without any sign of water. I couldn’t imagine being in a covered wagon making my way to the Golden State back in the 1880s. “Mama, I’m so thirsty!” said the girl at the Knotts Berry Farm diorama.